Hello everyone. It’s me, Debora Whitehead, your host of the Daily. Keep reading for the most important things happening in town.
First, today’s weather forecast:
Cloudy and sunny weather. High: 82, low: 70.
Here are today’s top 4 stories at Shirley-Mastic:
- Kristin Hannah’s book “The Four Winds” will be discussed via Zoom on July 19. The novel is set during the Great Depression. The event starts at 7 p.m. (Patch)
- The Wertheim National Wildlife Refuge will host the “Return of a Predator” seminar on July 19. The bald eagles of the Oregon Coast will be the talking point in this program packed with information and predatory curiosities at 6 p.m. The Center is located at 340 Smith Road, Shirley. (Shirley Chamber of Commerce)
- Zach Gallo, the lifeguard bitten by a shark at Smith Point Beach in Shirley, is back to work full speed ahead. The incident happened on July 3 during safety training. (News 12 Brooklyn)
- Ja Tap Room in Patchogue is now working with The Independent Group Home Living’s Smile Farms in Center Moriches on a community program that enables residents with disabilities to work on farms, gardens, etc.. Participants can grow their produce and flowers and then sell their fresh produce to local restaurants in the village. (Big LI)
Today at Shirley-Mastic:
- play area — MMS Community Library. (9:00 a.m.)
- Long Island Waterfowl! — Mastics & Shirley Chamber of Commerce. (10am)
- Doors Open from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. — 46 Rockledge Drive, Shirley. (11 a.m.)
From my notebook:
- Suffolk County Parks: “Enjoy dinner on the beach with Tiki Joe’s Ocean View Dining! With tent seating Thursday-Sunday 5-9pm, you can sit down with wait service and enjoy live music while you dine.” (Suffolk County Parks via Instagram)
- Suffolk County Girl Scouts: “For more information on our gold award process, please visit the link in our bio.” (Suffolk County Girl Scouts via Instagram)
More from our sponsors – please support the local news!
Concerts and Services:
All right, you’re all caught up for today. See you soon!
— Debora Whitehead
About me: Do you have a story idea? Please get in touch with me! I would love to hear from you! Wife, mom, foodie, traveler and nature lover.
Do you have a topical tip or a suggestion for an upcoming Shirley-Mastic Daily? Contact me at [email protected]